Dr Geoffrey BandaTitle
Lecturer - Global Food Security and InnovationOrganisation
Science Technology and Innovation Studies
G.33 Old Surgeons' Hall
High School Yards
Innovation International development Science Regenerative Medicine Business Models Financing Innovation Pharmaceutical Production
Find out more about the programmes that I am involved with:
- Banda, G., Tait, J., Watkins, A., Omdivar, O., and Mittra, J., (forthcoming). Understanding the Emergence and Evolution of New Business Models in the UK Regenerative Medicine Sector. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management.
- Banda, G., Tait, J., and Mittra, J., (2018). Evolution of Regenerative Medicine Business Models: Ecosystem Effects on a Disruptive Innovation. Clinical Therapeutics.
- Mugwagwa, J., Banda, G., Bolo, M., Mavhunga, C., Mjimba, V., Muza, O., and Teka, Z., (forthcoming). Unpacking policy gridlocks in Africa’s development: an evolving agenda, International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development.
- Mackintosh, M., Mugwagwa, J; Banda, G., Tunguhole, J., Tibandebage, P., Wangwe, S., and Karimi Njeru, M., (2018). Health-industry linkages for local health: reframing policies for African health system strengthening, Health Policy and Planning 33 (4), 602-610
- Mugwagwa, J., Chinyadza, J., and Banda, G., (2017). Private sector participation in health care in Zimbabwe: what’s the value added? Journal of Healthcare Communications, Vol. 2 No. 2:10. DOI: 10.4172/2472-1654.100050.
- Russo, G., Banda, G., (2015) Re-thinking pharmaceutical production in Africa; insights from the analysis of the local manufacturing dynamics in Mozambique and Zimbabwe. Studies in Comparative International Development. 50(2):258–81. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12116-015-9186-2
- Banda, G., (2013) Finance as a ‘forgotten technological capability’ for promoting African local pharmaceutical manufacture. International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development. 12(2):117–35. http://oro.open.ac.uk/38594/
- Gopo, J. M., & Banda, G. N., (1997). Occurrence of Salmonella on meat and products in an ostrich abattoir as determined by DNA probe. South African Journal of Animal Science, 27, 1–6. http://www.ajol.info/index.php/sajas/article/viewFile/44366/27874
- Mackintosh, M., Banda, G., Tibandebage, P., and Wamae, W., Eds (2016). Making Medicines in Africa: The Political Economy of Industrialising for Local Health. Palgrave Macmillan. UK. http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-1-137-54647-0
- Mugwagwa, J., Banda, G., Hornsby, D., and Mackintosh, M., (forthcoming). Public Policy and Health in Africa: Building the Case for a ‘Local Health’ Agenda. Routledge ‘Health in Africa’ Series.
- Mukwashi, T., Banda, G., and Julius Mugwagwa, J., (forthcoming). Humanitarian Operations and Supply Chain Management, in Mkansi, M., McLennan, N., and de Villiers, G., (Eds) (forthcoming). Contemporary Issues in Operations and Supply Chain Management. (Undergraduate Teaching Book)
- Mukwashi, T., Banda, G., and Julius Mugwagwa, J., Humanitarian Medical Logistics and Operations (forthcoming). In Mkansi, M., McLennan, N., and de Villiers, G., (Eds) (forthcoming). Contemporary Issues in Operations and Supply Chain Management (Undergraduate Teaching Book)
- Banda, G., Wangwe, S., and Mackintosh, M., 2016. Making Medicines in Africa: An Historical Political Economy Overview. In Making Medicines in Africa (pp. 7-24). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Banda, G., Mugwagwa, J., Kale, D., and Ndomondo-Sigonda, M., (2016) Pharmaceutical Standards in Africa: The Road to Improvement and Their Role in Technological Capability Upgrading. In Making Medicines in Africa (pp. 224-242). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Chataway, J., Banda, G., Cochrane, G. and Manville, C., (2016). Innovative Procurement for Health and Industrial Development. In Making Medicines in Africa (pp. 243-260). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- West, A., and Banda, G., (2016). Finance and Incentives to Support the Development of National Pharmaceutical Industries. In Making Medicines in Africa (pp. 278-297). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Mackintosh, M., Banda, G., Tibandebage, P., and Wamae, W., (2016). African Industrial Development, Values and Health Care. In Mackintosh, M., Banda, G., Tibandebage, P., and Wamae, W., (Eds) (2016). Making Medicines in Africa (pp. 224-242). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Dyosi, Z., and Banda, G., (2016). Financing AMD Treatment in South Africa. In Mujuru and Mutanga, Eds (forthcoming). Management and Mitigation of Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) in South Africa: Lessons for mineral Africa. AISA. South Africa.
- Nabyonga, J., Rusakaniko, S., Kirigia, J., and Banda, G., (2018). The 2018 WHO National Health Research Systems Barometer Survey. WHO AFRO
- Tait, J., Banda, G., and Watkins, A., (2017). Proportionate and Adaptive Governance of Innovative Technologies (PAGIT): A Framework to Guide Policy and Regulatory Decision Making (2017). BSI (British Standards Institution). https://www.innogen.ac.uk/downloads/FrameworkReport-Final_170717.pdf
- Tait, J., and Banda, G., (2016). Proportionate and adaptive governance of innovative technologies Financial Technologies (FinTech), Cell Therapies and Synthetic Biology: The role of regulations, guidelines and standards. BSI (British Standards Institution). https://www.bsigroup.com/LocalFiles/en-GB/BIS/Innovate%20UK%20and%20emerging%20technologies/Summary%20Report%20-%20Adaptive%20governance%20-%20WEB.pdf
- Mackintosh, M., Mugwagwa, J., Banda, G., and Tunguhole, J., (2017). Local production of pharmaceuticals and health system strengthening in Africa: An Evidence Brief. German Health Practice Collection (GHPC), Berlin. http://oro.open.ac.uk/50074/
- Banda, G., (2016). Financing African Local Pharmaceutical Production. African Union Finance Minister’s Conference on Unlocking the potential of the pharmaceutical manufacturing sector in Africa's socioeconomic transformation: facilitating access to affordable investment capital Invitation. Innogen Institute. UK. http://www.innogen.ac.uk/briefings/1150
- Mugwagwa, J., Kale, D., and Banda, G., (2015). Standards and Their Role in Pharmaceutical Upgrading in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Innogen Policy Brief. Innogen Institute. http://www.innogen.ac.uk/downloads/OU-Policy-Brief-3.pdf